With ownership history that can be traced back to new, this 1937 Packard Twelve Model 1507 2/4-Passenger Coupes story starts on December 1st of 1936 at the Packard Motor Company dealership of Wilmington, Delaware, when a contractor that worked for DuPont in Wilmington, Delaware became the first owner. Holding on to it for three years, Frank Ewing of Wilmington, Delaware would claim ownership in 1939 with a reported 31,000 miles on the odometer. Ewing would drive the car until 1941 when he then decided to park the car in his garage to store. Staying parked there until 1969, this Packard would be sold with his estate and bought by Harold Bujwit of Lowell, Indiana. Bujwit sold the car, with a reported 46,000 miles, in 1983 to Indiana residents, Paul and Jett Pence of Lafayette, Indiana. Short six years later, the Pence family would sell this Packard in June of 1989 to Chad and Barbera Hunt of Saratoga, California. Under the Hunt familys care, this 1937 Packard would be given a complete body-off-the-frame restoration that took place in the mid to late 1990s. This would bring us to the current consignor, who purchased it from their estate in 2021. Under his care, this Packard was delivered to Parkers Packards of Holden, Massachusetts in April of 2022. While there, the carburetor was rebuilt and the car was fully serviced, and a new battery was installed.
Synonymous with luxury, speed and wealth, this rare Packard Twelve Model 1507 2/4-Passenger Coupe is reported to be 1 of only 42 built in 1937. Overall, it presents quite well since its restoration, but the body does reveal multiple blemishes, most noticeably near the Goddess of Speed hood ornament and on the sides of the hood where the handles are located. The exterior sports a lavish black paint that is nicely accented by red pinstriping that flows along the belt line, fenders and hood louvers. The chrome has been reshined to a brilliant finish and the wide whitewall BFGoodrich Silvertown bias-ply tires still have lots of tread left on them. Affixed to the right side of the body is a Packard Automobile Classics First Place National Meet badge that it acquired shortly after its restoration was completed. Other notable exterior features are the enclosed dual side-mounted spare tires with side-view mirrors fixed to the top, a functional rear luggage rack, Trippe lights, golf club doors on both sides of the body, and a comfortable rumble seat when more space is needed. Its luxury flows into the cabin where fine green leather upholstery adorned with red piping can be seen throughout, capturing the look and feel of the Art Deco period. Other interior equipment includes a painted woodgrain dashboard, dual-locking gloveboxes, an AM radio, and a Packard Deluxe heater with a defroster.
In 1991, a replacement 473-cubic-inch 12-cylinder engine was installed under the side-hinged hood. The replacement engine is stamped as *905963*, which correspnds to a 473 cid V12 that was built in 1939.
With the mighty 473-cubic-inch 12-cylinder engine recently gone through and the rest of the mechanics sorted, this rare 1937 Packard presents itself as a quality pick for cross-country tours, CCCA CARavans, or simply the next addition to ones growing collection of pre-war classic automobiles.