CHASSIS NO: 9CM262540
• 1 of only 42 known to exist
• Impressive frame-off restoration
• Designed for beauty, planned for duty
• Three-speed standard transmission with overdrive
This lot is available for online bidding at Proxibid.com, LiveAuctioneers.com and Invaluable.com
255.4 cid V-8 engine, 110 HP, three-speed overdrive transmission; wheelbase: 118”
The 1949 Mercury 9CM Station Wagon made its public debut in April of 1948. The new model was designed by E.T. "Bob" Gregorie, an in-house designer for Ford, but it wasn’t originally meant for Mercury. The original plan was to be a Ford station wagon, but before being finalized, George Walker submitted a design and the board went with Walker. Instead of doing away with Gregorie’s design, they decided to promote it to be the Mercury model for the year 1949. Just like previous years, Mercury only offered one series, unlike Ford which would offer a Standard or Deluxe. Though the two shared similar body styles, the features of the cars were quite distinct. The Mercurys had a longer and wider wheelbase as opposed to the Fords, and the front grilles were completely different. Each car had its own features, but the Mercury Wagon was viewed as the higher end of the two. In total, more than 300,000 Mercurys were sold, but just 8,000 of those were station wagons. Of the 8,000 that were produced, a mere 42 are known to exist today.
Like its brethren in the Steelewood Collection, this 9CM Station Wagon went through a frame-off restoration. The outside was painted in Berwick Green Metallic, an eye catching and unique color. This was the first model for which they did away with all-wood bodies and replaced them with steel. The only way to get the wood trim to attach to the steel was through a new process of pressing the wood trim to the steel then using an electro bonding process that applied 75 tons of pressure. The new process proved to be effective and produced a great result. Looking like they would as if they just came out of the new bonding process, the wood panels produce the perfect shine. The tailgate featured new hinged taillights, a standard option for the year. When the tailgate is lowered, the taillights remain in an upright position, so one can still have visible taillights with the tailgate open. This proved to be a helpful feature, as many owners would remove the back seat and open the tailgate to haul oversize items. Hence why the slogan for the year was, “famously designed for beauty, but built for duty”.
The restoration quality follows inside as well, where the seating has been reupholstered in a Berwick Green that complements the exterior painted surfaces. The roof lining has been replaced and the floor has been covered with a new black rubber floor mat. The original faux woodgrain dash has been restored and houses the optional clock, radio, and heater controls. Power comes from the 255-cubic-inch V-8 engine that produces 110 horsepower which is sent to the rear wheels via the three-speed manual transmission that is equipped with optional overdrive. The engine bay is extremely clean and has been restored to its factory-correct appearance.
With all the hard work done and now in show form, this rare 1 of only 42 known to exist examples is ready for the touring circuit and would be proudly welcomed as one of the more scarce and seldom seen collector cars at any event nationally.