CHASSIS NO: 4100303
• Fewer than five examples believed to be built for 1934
• Cosmetically restored, freshly detailed and ready for exhibition
• CCCA Full Classic®, tour ready
• Desirable one-year-only biplane bumpers and roll-up division window
368 cid V-12 engine, 135 HP, 285 ft-lbs, three-speed manual transmission, dual X-frame chassis, front coil spring suspension; wheelbase: 146”
In the mid-1920s, luxury car manufacturers across the country began developing multicylinder engines to meticulously fit into their upscale automobiles. During this time Cadillac made sure they were not to be outdone and were quietly constructing two different multicylinder engines, a V-12 and V-16. Led by Cadillac engineer, Owen Kacker, the outcome of the two engines was truly special. In October of 1930, Cadillac began shipping their V-12s to dealers to display in their showrooms for the 1931 model year. The V-12 was sold between the already established V-8 and now new V-16, but the 12 and 16 weren’t as different as many were told to believe. The V-12 was essentially a shortened V-16 with a bore of 3.125” instead of 3” while retaining the V-16’s 4” stroke. The V-12 was able to produce similar torque and top speed, pushing out 135 horsepower and 285 foot-pounds of torque resulting in a top speed above 80 mph. Cadillac offered a total of 18 different body styles for their V-12s, all of which were done by Fisher or the more upscale Fleetwood.
For the year 1934, Cadillac built a total of 683 Series 370D V-12s. The exact production records were lost, so it is believed that this five-passenger Convertible Sedan is one of fewer than five built for the year. The elegant new model featured all-new styling, like a radiator grille slanted toward the rear that had one central bar and five horizontal sections and one-year-only biplane bumpers, a rare and desirable option today. Of the 18 models that were offered, six had flat windshields, while 12 had the V-windshield, as is equipped on this example. Evident from its data tag, this Cadillac was built by General Motors of Canada Limited. This example has been completely restored and has been recently cosmetically freshened to its showroom floor appearance. Painted in a mist gray that is offset by black fenders and equipped with new whitewall tires, the stance truly captivates the elegance of a prewar classic. The outside also features a new black convertible top with a matching boot, factory trunk rack with a metal accessory trunk, and dual side-mounted spare tires with metal coverings over each.
The interior has been fitted with new red leather seating and gray carpet throughout. All the gauges and knobs were properly restored during the original restoration. In between the bench seating is a roll-up division window. With the seating fully restored and now comfortably accommodating four to five occupants, this V-12 Cadillac is ideal for short and long touring events.
This seldom seen Cadillac convertible is no stranger to being the center of attention, as it has collected an array of prestigious awards. In its lifetime it has received an AACA Junior and Senior Award, as well as a Preservation Award. Since it is a Classic Car Club of America Full Classic®, it is eligible for all club events, and is certainly able to rack up more awards in its lifetime. The entire car has been recently detailed, including the undercarriage.
In the early to mid ‘30s, Cadillac proudly claimed themselves to be “The Standard of the World;” a bold claim, but one that can easily be backed up just by looking at this 1934 Cadillac V-12 Convertible Sedan. Surviving as one of just five or fewer believed to have been built in the production year, this Cadillac can rightfully be added to any garage where high quality pre-war cars are appreciated.