CHASSIS NO: 054K
• Rare high-wheeler with period innovative mechanicals
• A pivotal vehicle in the transition from wagons to motorcars
• Well-restored to a highly accurate standard
• Exceptional brass lamps and reconstructed brass radiator
Horizontally opposed two-cylinder engine, 10 HP, friction-drive transmission, solid front and rear axles with semi-elliptic leaf springs, rear-wheel drum brakes; wheelbase: 65”
Schacht was a builder of horse-drawn carriages and wagons in Cincinnati, Ohio before turning to automobile production early in the 20th century. A high-wheel gas-powered buggy Schacht marketed as the “Auto-Runabout” was first offered beginning in 1904 and as late as 1910. Schacht produced conventional automobiles until 1913, and then, after Ford and others had developed newer designs, Schacht was forced to concentrate on trucks, which they would build at their Ohio factory well into the 1930s.
Unlike some other high-wheel vehicles, the Schacht had a steering wheel, instead of a tiller, and its engine was water-cooled, as attested to by its prominent brass radiator. Marketed as the “invincible car,” the Schacht enjoyed considerable popularity during the few years that high-wheelers were in demand, and quickly developed a reputation for reliability. The Schacht and other high-wheel self-propelled buggies were instrumental in the transition from the horse-drawn utilitarian wagons to the more conventional automobiles. They were also popular with farmers, who appreciated their high stance, which helped them navigate the typically deeply rutted rural roads of the period.
This example is unquestionably in very good restored condition. The wood body is largely intact and the older repaint was done in a period-correct red, with black accents and gold striping and is very representative of the original finish. The upholstery has been replaced and shows well, as does the black convertible top. The brass radiator was completely remanufactured, but closely resembles the original design. The rare multi-layer wooden fenders are in great condition, and even the side lamps are the rare and correct Dietz Daintys.
The horizontally opposed two-cylinder, 12-horsepower engine is complete and has a proper Schebler brass side draft carburetor. The ignition coils have been replaced while the ignition timer appears to be original. The engine turns over easily, the friction drive transmission appears to be complete and in operating condition, as is the chain-driven rear axle. The steering components are also complete, including the brass steering column with its column-mounted spark and throttle levers. The wood wagon-style artillery wheels appear to be original and are in good condition, as are the hard-rubber tires. The current owner reports he has had no difficulty starting the vehicle, and it has been carefully stored with the gas drained for the past few years.
This seldom seen high-wheeler could easily be museum displayed in its current condition or used for road use with minimal efforts. The Schacht Runabout is a rather jaunty car, compared to some of its utilitarian buckboard-like competitors, and could certainly qualify as an entrant that would be welcomed into many shows and events throughout the country.
PLEASE NOTE: This vehicle is titled as a 1907.